Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Our new backyard.

For the past couple of months we have been working on our backyard. We have a very small space so we wanted to be careful about the plans for it and using the space most efficiently. We decided to concrete most of it and line the fence with planter boxes. That way we can have a patio set, Marston can drive trucks and cars on it and we can get a kiddie pool for those hot summer days. Plus I can try my "light green" thumb at gardening. We started with the concrete. We concreted most all of the yard. We left out the space for the planter boxes and that's it. We had a good friend do it and it turned out beautifully. When that was done, Daniel got out there and designed and created a drain system for the boxes and added water bibs at each end of the boxes. On another Saturday, he built 12 inch redwood planter boxes and the week after we filled them with dirt. I planted tomatoes, a green pepper, a red pepper, cucumbers, onions, strawberries, some herbs, marigolds, snapdragons and a shasta daisy. I have also put a couple of blueberry bushes and a mandarine tree in pots on our new patio. We bought a new grill which I have loved cooking meals on.  I think it turned out wonderfully. I love having the extra space for Marston to play and being able to get my hands a little dirty. Thank you Daniel for all your hard work. Let's be honest, he did most of it.











1 comment:

  1. it looks great. SO much fun. I hope everything I planted this year grows too. The flowers look so pretty. Keep us updated on when you get your produce.

    ReplyDelete