I woke up this morning thinking MUFFINS, I must have MUFFINS. I found this recipe a couple of days ago and thought I should give it a shot. It has whole wheat flour, oats, applesauce and only a couple tablespoons of oil in it. Really healthy. I was a bit skeptical about how they would taste - but to my surprise they were terrific - yummy even. I think I will actually keep this recipe and make it often; they are that good. It was a great way to start my day.
Oatmeal Blueberry Applesauce Muffins
source: adapted from Joy the Baker
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/4 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup blueberries (fresh are highly recommended)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper cases or spray with nonstick cooking spray. I simple greased and floured a muffin pan, saving the paper.
- In a large bowl combine flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. In a medium bowl combine applesauce, buttermilk, sugar, oil and egg. Make a well in dry ingredients and add applesauce mixture. Stir until just moist. Fold in blueberries. Fill muffin cups 2/3 full.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes.
Yields 12-15 muffins.