Sunday, July 5, 2009

Chocolate Chip Cookies-YUMMY


Okay-I may be considered a cookie snob. I love cookies. But they have to be of a certain caliber for me to eat them. I found this recipe on a blog I read called my kitchen cafe (mykitchencafe.blogspot.com) and I just love these delightful morsels. I have been looking for a good, no, great, chocolate chip cookie recipe for a very long time now and I think my search is finally over. These a thick and chewy and soft, everything a chocolate chip cookie should be. The best part is you can freeze them for up to a month and they are just as good as the day you made the dough. I made this batch a couple of days ago and only baked a few. I used my handy dandy cookie scoop and froze cookie dough balls on a cookie sheet for a couple of hours, then I just threw the dough balls into a freezer bag and put it back in the freezer. Today I baked a couple more cookies and they turned out great. I highly recommend this recipe.

Thick and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
From Cook's Illustrated
Makes about 30 cookies

2 1/8 c bleached all-purpose flour (about 10.5 oz)
1/2 t table salt
1/2 t baking soda
12 T unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
1 c brown sugar (7 oz)
1/2 c sugar (3.5 oz)
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
2 t vanilla
1-2 c chocolate chips

Heat oven to 325 degrees. Adjust oven racks to upper- and lower-middle positions (I just left the oven racks where they were). Mix flour, salt, and baking soda together in medium bowl; set aside.

Either by hand or with electric mixer, mix butter and sugars until thoroughly blended. Mix in egg, yolk, and vanilla. Add dry ingredients; mix until just combined. Stir in chips.

Form dough into balls and place on parchment or silpat-lined cookie sheets. Smaller cookie sheets can be used, but fewer cookies can be baked at one time and baking time may need to be adjusted. (Dough can be refrigerated up to 2 days or frozen up to 1 month—shaped or not.)

Bake, reversing cookie sheets’ positions halfway through baking (I just did 1 cookie sheet at a time), until cookies are light golden brown and outer edges start to harden yet centers are still soft and puffy, 15 to 18 minutes. Frozen dough requires an extra 1 to 2 minutes baking time. Cool cookies on cookie sheets. Serve or store in airtight container.


1 comment:

  1. I went on a chocolate chip cookie search too. Finally found this recipe and have been using it for a couple years, haven't found anything better. I totally stand behind your recommendation! Your pictures look so yummy... I need to make some for myself.

    ReplyDelete